CGS Certificate/Minor: Degree-Seeking Students
In order to declare a CGS minor or certificate, you will need to complete and submit a brief CGS application form online. Completing this form indicates your agreement to have the certificate or minor automatically added to your student plan if you meet the requirements.*
Current CGS students interested in pursuing a CGS minor or certificate should contact their CGS advisor to initiate the process.
*All students must meet CGS minor and certificate requirements for admission. Some certificate programs may have additional entry and/or prerequisite requirements. Be sure to review program information carefully before submitting the CGS online application form.
CGS Certificate: Non-Degree Seeking Students
Many CGS certificate programs are available as standalone programs to students or professionals seeking to earn an academic credential without enrolling in a degree program.
If you are a non-degree student looking to enroll only in a CGS certificate program, please review the below guidelines to determine your eligbility and apply online via the CGS ApplyYourself portal.
Helpful Tip: This application will require you to create a user account; this means you can start your application now and finish later. See full application instructions here.
Students with recent college experience
- will be required to have a minimum 2.0 GPA*
- must have completed at least two courses (six credits), with one course being a college-level writing course, and achieving a grade of a C or better in each course.
Students without any previous college experience
- must have been out of high school for at least two years
- are reviewed for admission on a holistic basis
- will complete a writing placement test upon admission to determine the writing course they should enroll in and will also take one other introductory-level general education course. Students must achieve a grade of C or better in both courses, prior to enrolling in certificate courses. This requirement must be completed within the first two terms of the student’s enrollment, or within one academic year.
Certificate students will be required to meet with an advisor before enrollment, and course selections must be approved by the advisor. Advisors will monitor their student's progress in completing the requirements to ensure maximum success.
Students who want to change their status from certificate to degree-seeking after completing the above requirements must submit an application through the Office of Admissions and meet the admission requirements established for transfer students.
* Please note that the following certificate programs have additional entry requirements. Be sure to review program information carefully before submitting the CGS online application form.
Students must have earned a bachelor's degree in order to enroll in the Post-Baccalaureate Certificate in Accounting and must have a 2.75 or higher cumulative GPA.
The Certificate in Leadership is only offered to students currently enrolled in a degree program at the University of Pittsburgh and has a prerequisite requirement.
Email us at firstname.lastname@example.org.