The College of General Studies offers many degree and certificate programs, as well as opportunities for non-degree post-baccalaureate and guest students. The application process for our programs varies depending on your intended student status. Review the options below to be directed to the proper steps to apply.

If you still have questions or are just not sure how to proceed, please contact us for additional help.

New Adult Students

Students seeking to enroll in a CGS bachelor's degree program for the first time (no prior college) or seeking a second bachelor's degree (first degree completed outside the University of Pittsburgh) will submit an application as a transfer student through the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid.

Returning Students

If you are a returning or continuing student (previously enrolled at the University of Pittsburgh) and are looking to be reinstated or complete a second bachelor's degree, please click through for specific instructions related to your current status and proper methods to complete an application.

External Transfer Students

If you are an external transfer student (coming from a school outside of the University of Pittsburgh) you can gather application information by visiting this page. The Transfer Credit/GPA Guidelines will also give you an idea of what the Collge of General Studies recommends.

Internal Transfer Students

This page can assist internal transfers (coming from a school within the University of Pittsburgh). Current students on the main campus, or one of our regional campuses, can learn how they can transfer directly into the College of General Studies.

Certificate/Minor Students

Current University of Pittsburgh students not already enrolled in the College of General Studies or non-degree students interested in our standalone certificates can find more information here and learn how to submit an application online.

Non-Degree Students/Guest Students

Learn more about the CGS application process for post-baccalaureate students, Pitt employees, or guest students looking to take individual Pitt undergraduate courses while enrolled in a 2- or 4-year degree program at another university. You can also find a list of facts for non-degree seekers.