Study Abroad

College of General Studies students are encouraged to enhance their education with a study abroad experience. You can earn credit toward your University of Pittsburgh degree through participation in either Pitt-sponsored, exchange, or Pitt-recognized programs. The University offers a wide variety of study abroad options, from semester programs to short one-, three-, or five-week programs that can fit your busy schedule. The Study Abroad Office has more information about taking advantage of study abroad opportunities as an adult student.

Academic Credit for Study Abroad

Approval for credit must be obtained before studying abroad. The study abroad advisor provides program approval and CGS Academic Affairs approves course selection and credits. You should have at least a 2.75 GPA before seeking permission to study abroad.  

Visit the Study Abroad Office in room 802 of the William Pitt Union, call 412-648-7413, or review for more information on study abroad programs and course options. After you have selected your study abroad program and reviewed the courses together with your CGS advisor, complete the online CGS Course Substitution form to obtain approval from CGS Academic Affairs. Please makse sure that you have all necessary approvals prior to the start of your study abroad experience.

Study Abroad For-Credit Internships

Study Abroad, for-credit internships provide you with excellent opportunities for gaining global, hands-on work experience while satisfying academic program internship requirements. Pitt’s Study Abroad Office can assist you in identifying and applying to overseas internships. The College of General Studies Academic Affairs office approves your study abroad, for-credit internship for your CGS degree, major, minor, or certificate.

Tip: Finding the right internship and getting all necessary approvals can take time. Please plan accordingly.

How do I obtain CGS approval for my study abroad, for-credit internship?