Non-Degree/Guest Student Application

If you are a Pitt staff or faculty member or a student looking to take courses without enrolling in a degree-granting program, you may apply to take undergraduate level courses at the University of Pittsburgh as a non-degree student directly through the College of General Studies.

We have no application fees!

Determine Your Applicant Type

Review the applicant types below to determine which type best fits you:

Post-Baccalaureate (already attained a bachelor’s degree or higher):

The post-bacc designation is best for University of Pittsburgh faculty and staff as well as college graduates who need to make up prerequisite courses prior to applying for graduate school or those who want to take undergraduate courses for professional, scholarly, or personal enrichment purposes.

Some things to keep in mind:

  • This student status does not lead to a degree.
  • If accepted, you must enroll in classes in the term you are accepted. Otherwise, you will need to reapply for another term. Accounts will remain active as long as there is no more than a three-term lapse in enrollment.
  • Post-baccalaureate students are encouraged to attend CGS walk-in advising hours.
  • University of Pittsburgh faculty and Pitt staff with a University of Pittsburgh degree do not have to supply prior transcripts with their application.

Guest (enrolled in a degree program at another 4-year institution):

The guest designation is for students who plan to take undergraduate courses for credit at the University of Pittsburgh (during fall, spring, or summer) with the intention of transferring those courses back to their home institution.

Some things to keep in mind:

  • To be eligible for admission, you must be currently enrolled at another 2- or 4-year institution with at least 12 completed credits and have a minimum 2.0 cumulative or overall GPA.
  • Guest student status is granted for one term only and does not automatically renew.
  • Guest students are encouraged to attend CGS walk-in advising hours.
  • University of Pittsburgh staff without a bachelor’s degree who are interested in taking undergraduate courses for self-enrichment should apply as Guests.

Note: If you wish to obtain an academic credential (degree or a CGS standalone certificate), you must apply for admission to the University. Note also that credit taken as a non-degree student is not applicable toward an undergraduate degree at the University of Pittsburgh if you change your status from non-degree to degree seeking. Please see our admissions page or contact us directly.

Application and Enrollment

Non-Degree Student Application

Post-baccalaureate and guest students complete our free non-degree application online.

Helpful Tips:

  • This application will require you to create a user account; this means you can start your application now and finish later.
  • You’ll need to upload your transcripts from your home institution as part of your application. Please have an electronic version of your transcript available as you complete the application. Transcripts may also be sent directly to our office, but this will result in a processing delay. See full application instructions here.

Launch Non-Degree Application

Admission Timeline

Admission is rolling, but please submit your application at least 2 weeks prior to the start of classes, as after this time we cannot guarantee a processing date before the start of a term. Term start and end dates can be found on the University’s Academic Calendar. Please note that depending on volume, applications may take from 2-4 weeks for processing.

Tuition & Financial Aid

Non-degree seeking students are not eligible for University-sponsored financial aid. To learn more about financial aid eligibility requirements and tuition costs, please visit the Admissions and Financial Aid website. Tuition is billed on a per-credit basis consistent with current University rates.

Searching / Enrolling in Classes

Admission to CGS gives you access to undergraduate courses only. If you wish to take graduate-level courses as a non-degree student, contact the graduate school offering your desired course(s) directly for admission process and requirements. Undergraduate courses are numbered from 0001 to 1999. Any 2000-level course or higher is a graduate level course.

  • Ensure that the course(s) you wish to take are offered in the desired term and that there are open seats remaining in the course by using the Pitt Class Search tool.
  • To request enrollment assistance with a class that has a pre-requisite, please complete this form.  An academic administrator will review the transcript you submitted as part of your application and enroll you if you meet the pre-requisites. 
  • If you are looking to enroll in Computer Science or Information Science courses, please follow the instructions on SCI's Permission Number Application System website.
  • For syllabi of desired courses, contact the department offering the course directly.
Non-Degree Admissions FAQ

Review this FAQ page to get some answers to questions we hear frequently from our non-degree students!

Questions and Help?

If you have questions about your non-degree application, transcripts, or a hold on your account, contact us at