Carol Balk, Career Consultant for CGS students, along with a team of specialists in career and internship planning, are here to assist you in your career pursuits!
At the College of General Studies, we are invested in your success — both in the classroom and after you complete your coursework. Career counseling is an important part of that commitment to you. We are here to assist you: to explore, discuss, and make decisions about your career and employment options, or seek assistance in making a career transition.
Our list of services for you include:
- Learn through self-assessments what values, workstyle preferences and interests matter to you
- Explore your major/field interests
- Take a deep dive into career options in your fields of interest
- Identify how your transferable skills (those you have developed over time) match up with those needed for employment
- Find resources for internships, volunteering, and job shadowing
- Develop and refine your resume
- Create your LinkedIn profile
- Learn and practice interview techniques (virtual and in-person)
- Learn the formulas for writing cover letters, thank you letters, and other professional correspondence
- Develop key job search strategies
- Explore graduate school planning
- Master the techniques of salary negotiation
- And more!
First up - you already have a lot going for you!
- Your life experiences make you a mature and goal-oriented student.
- Your transferable skills are valuable for academics and future employment.
- Your work and/or other experiences have required you to be accountable and productive.
- You may have a strong drive to achieve important professional goals.
Resources to engage you in career exploration and planning!
Handshake–Our online career platform
- Personalized and populated with content based on your career preferences
- Make appointments with Carol Balk, Career Consultant for CGS students
- Find internship opportunities and jobs
- Browse and sign up for events tailored to your major or career field interests such as career fairs, career workshops like resumes and interviews, and employers and alumni meet and greets
Career Central–Our website for everything focused on your career development.
Adult Student Resources–Our Adult Affinity Group website page with information for adult students
Career Closet–Professional clothing for all students to borrow for interviews, career fairs, etc.
Connect with Carol Balk
Carol S. Balk, MS, Career Consultant
Helping students in CGS majors, psychology, urban studies and veterans, and alumni
Career Center, 200 WPU
Schedule an appointment with Carol on Handshake – In-person, Zoom, phone, or email.
Virtually chat with a Career Center representative – For quick questions - Weekdays 8:30am – 5pm