A solid command of the written word is a valuable, marketable skill for many positions and industries. Businesses of all kinds need skilled writers to help communicate important messages internally and externally.
This 18-credit certificate in writing for the professions offered by the College of General Studies will help enhance your written communication skills. You’ll have the flexibility to choose English and communication courses that make the most sense for your career goals. A wide array of electives include topics such as writing arguments, sports writing, grant writing, health communication, and public relations.
The CGS Difference
Our certificate program can be a standalone professional development opportunity or completed in preparation for a bachelor’s or master’s degree in a writing-related field.
Who Should Participate
Individuals for whom writing will be a major component of their job responsibilities, e.g., broadcasters, legal professionals, or reporters.
Graduates of this program will be able to:
- Identify and analyze audience traits and perspectives
- Determine a specific goal and/or purpose of a document, then organize and develop clearly written prose in support of that purpose
- Apply knowledge of a specialized writing/communication topic
- The writing for the professions certificate requires 18 credits, including nine credits of core classes and nine elective credits.
- Students must achieve a minimum grade of C (2.0) or better for all courses required for the program.
- Credits earned at other accredited educational institutions may be eligible for transfer. However, a minimum of nine credits must be earned at the University of Pittsburgh.
This certificate is applicable to such fields as print and online writing professions, health professions, and nonprofit organizations.
Required Courses: (9 credits)
Complete both courses:Format: F2F and Web
Format: F2F and WebAnd choose one of the following two courses:Note: Either course may be used towards the elective requirement if both courses are taken.Format: F2F and Web
Electives (9 Credits):
Choose three courses from the following approved electives.Approved Topic: Health Communication (SEC 75XX)Format: F2F and WebApproved Topics: Public and Media Relations (SEC 77XX); Communication & New Media Technologies (SEC 10XX)Format: F2F and HybridFormat: F2F and Web (available as of Fall 2022)Format: F2F and WebFormat: F2F and Web (available as of Fall 2022)Format: F2F and Web (available as of Fall 2022)Format: F2F and Web
Program Planning Checklist
Download our handy Writing for the Professions certificate checklist (PDF) to plan and track your progress in the program.
Important: Course Overlap Rules
As you plan your certificate coursework, please make sure to review the CGS Course Overlap policy for information on how many courses can be double-counted if a student elects to pursue a CGS certificate in combination with other CGS and non-CGS majors, minors, and certificates. If you have questions, please contact your CGS advisor or CGS Advising at CGSAdv@pitt.edu.
Note: Requirements are subject to change. Check with an academic advisor before registering.