The College of General Studies has several financial aid awards available to degree-seeking students. To be considered for these awards, please select and complete the application(s) listed below.
College of General Studies Scholarships
In addition to any award-specific requirements detailed below, students must meet the following three qualifications:
- Enrolled in a CGS bachelor's degree program for a minimum of 6 credits per term
- Have a completed Free Application for Federal Student Aid (FAFSA) on file with the University for the 2019-20 academic year
- Ineligible for tuition remission
Supplemental Aid is awarded as $500 for students newly admitted to CGS or $1,000 per term for continuing students in good academic standing (minimum cumulative GPA of 2.0).
Students with Dependents
This award in the amount of $1,500 per term supports CGS students who are the parent or legal guardian of a child or other family member(s). Eligible applicants must have earned a minimum of 80 credits, with at least 24 completed at the University of Pittsburgh, and be in good academic standing (minimum cumulative GPA of 2.5). Proof of dependent(s) will be required.
Alice Wroblewski Scholarship
The number of awards/award amount varies annually and is provided by The Pittsburgh Foundation. Eligible students must be residents of Allegheny County, demonstrate significant financial need, and have a minimum cumulative GPA of 3.0. Proof of residency will be required.
Click here to apply for the Fall 2019-Spring 2020 scholarships listed above.
The priority deadline for applications is 11:59 p.m. EST Sunday, May 5, 2019. Applications received after this date will continue to be considered as long as funding is available. With the exception of the Alice Wroblewski Scholarship, students awarded in the fall will automatically be reconsidered for the consecutive spring term without an additional application as long as all requirements remain fulfilled. Awards are not transferable to other academic terms. Awards will be reversed and returned to the College if recipients drop below the term enrollment requirement or otherwise leave CGS. Questions can be emailed to Lydia Heyliger, CGS Administrative Coordinator.
Financial Aid Wellness Center
The Financial Aid Wellness Center located in 130 Thackeray Hall is available to all University of Pittsburgh students in need of financial aid counseling. Follow this link to learn more about the services the Center can provide for you, such as scholarship information, assistance with finanical aid applications, student loan counseling, and more!
CGS Student Government Scholarships
Outstanding Student of the Year Award:
The Outstanding Student of the Year award is given annually to a College of General Studies student(s) who has obtained academic excellence and has demonstrated a distinguished record of service and leadership to student government or student organizations in the College of General Studies, the University, and/or the community. This scholarship is based primarily on the candidate’s essay, recommendation, and interview.
The recipient(s) receives a one-time $1,000 award from the CGS Student Government. Also, the recipient’s name is engraved on the wall display in the William Pitt Union. The scholarship will be awarded for the fall semester. The winner will be required to attend the “Excellence in CGS” reception.
Criteria for the award:
- Candidates must currently be attending the College of General Studies and earned at least 60 credits at the University of Pittsburgh.
- Candidates must have a minimum Quality Point Average of 3.00.
- All candidates for this scholarship must be recommended by two faculty members, advisors or other qualified professional people.
- All candidates must provide a written statement profiling their major accomplishments. Characteristics which the committee may consider and weigh in evaluation of candidates are:
- Distinguished accomplishment in academic scholarship;
- Prominent leadership or service in student government, student organizations, University or College committees, public, community or humanitarian service, business or professional associations;
- Publication of papers, manuscripts, etc.
- Notable attainment in speech, music, drama; and/or
- Other meritorious achievement.
Success and Determination Scholarship:
The College General Studies Student Government, in collaboration with the College of General Studies, has established a Success and Determination scholarship to recognize a student who has demonstrated, in an extraordinary way, the ability to overcome life’s obstacles in order to obtain his/her education. This scholarship is based primarily on the student’s essay and an interview.
The recipient of this scholarship receives a $1,000 one-time scholarship ($500 from the CGS Student Government and $500 from the College of General Studies.) Also, the recipient’s name is engraved on the wall display in the William Pitt Union. The scholarship will be awarded for the fall 2015 semester. The winner will be required to attend the “Excellence in CGS” reception.
Criteria for the award:
- Must be a College of General Studies student at the University of Pittsburgh;
- Must have obtained at least 60 college credits, of which at least 15 must be in the College of General Studies; and,
- Must have a minimum Q.P.A. of 3.0 at the University of Pittsburgh.
Nontraditional Student Study Abroad Scholarship:
In collaboration with the University of Pittsburgh’s Study Abroad Department, the Nontraditional Student Study Abroad Scholarship award is given annually to a College of General Studies student to assist a nontraditional student to study abroad during his or her academic career. This scholarship is based primarily on the candidate’s essay, academic performance, and interview.
The recipient receives a one-time $1,000 award from the CGS Student Government. The scholarship will be awarded for the Study Abroad experience in the spring or summer semesters following their acceptance of the award at the "Excellence in CGS reception."
Criteria for the award:
- Must be currently enrolled, as a College of General Studies student at the University of Pittsburgh;
- Be 25 years of age or older;
- Must have obtained at least 60 college credits, of which 30 must be in the College of General Studies;
- Must have a minimum Q.P.A. of 3.00 at the University of Pittsburgh;
- Must register as at least a part-time student for two (2) terms immediately after this study abroad experience (i.e. not intending to transfer to another institution to complete undergraduate degree);
- Must participate in a study abroad program for academic credit; and,
Must present a short synopsis at a CGSSG Meet-n-Greet or a CGS Alumni/Student Networking Social about what it’s like to study abroad as a nontraditional student and the study abroad experience.
Steele Gow Scholarship:
The Steele Gow Scholarship is offered through the College of General Studies and the CGS Student Government to students who have financial need and are actively involved in CGS student organizations. This award, in the amount of $2,000 for the academic year ($1,000 for each the fall and spring terms), is applied directly to the student's tuition.
Applicants must compose a one-page letter addressing the following questions: Why did you enroll in CGS? How/why did you choose your CGS major? What campus/CGS organizations do you participate in and why? What are your plans after graduation? Finalists may have an interview with the selection committee. Awardees will be announced at the CGS Excellence Reception held in April.
Criteria for the award:
- 3.25 GPA minimum
- FAFSA on file with the University
- Enrolled in at least 6 credits through the College of General Studies
- Must have completed at least 12 graded credits within the College of General Studies
Submission Deadline: Friday, March 1st, 2019 by 5 p.m.
For questions, contact: