External Transfer Student Application

Students Coming From Outside the University of Pittsburgh:

The College of General Studies accepts most credits from the region's colleges and universities. 

  • A maximum of 60 credits may be accepted from community colleges and two-year junior colleges.
  • A maximum of 90 credits may be accepted from four-year institutions. 
  • At least 50 percent of the credits required in the major and official minor must be earned in the College of General Studies. 
  • The minimum number of credits to graduate with an undergraduate degree at CGS is 120. 

The University of Pittsburgh generally accepts credits from institutions at which the applicant has received a grade of “C” or better in college-level coursework (not remedial) that corresponds to a course in our curriculum in content and credit value.

Pass/Fail courses may be accepted for transfer credit if it can be documented that a “P” grade corresponds to a grade of “C” or better.

To receive a University of Pittsburgh degree, you must complete, at a minimum, your last 30 credits at the University of Pittsburgh.

Transfer Guidelines and Other Considerations

Successful candidates usually present a strong record of previous college study. The Transfer Credit/GPA Guidelines through the University's Office of Admissions will give you an idea of what each school/college recommends. Meeting the guidelines does not guarantee admission, nor does failure to meet the guidelines preclude admission.

Non-academic factors may also be considered if:

  • You are an adult student and/or a veteran
  • You have significant work-related experience
  • You possess particular outstanding talents

How to Apply

Check the Transfer credit and GPA requirements for the College of General Studies, then follow these easy steps to see how we can facilitate your transfer experience.

1. Browse CGS degree programs and choose one of our results-oriented majors. Please note that some CGS majors have more specific admission requirements. Be sure to check program information carefully before applying. 

2. Contact DeLane Crutcher in the Office of Admissions at 412-383-3790 or via email at dlc99@pitt.edu for more information and to set up a pre-admissions counseling appointment.

3. Submit your transfer application to the Office of Admissions. Please include all transcripts and other requested materials to ensure that your application processing is not delayed.

After being admitted and paying your tuition deposit, you will be assigned a dedicated CGS academic advisor who will help you enroll in the necessary classes to obtain your desired degree.


Email us at cgs@pitt.edu.