CGS Classes Requiring Permission

Please note, CGS can only assist with enrollment if it is a CGS course. Learn more about how to search for CGS courses here.  This CGS Course Permission form is only to be used for class sections offered by the College of General Studies. For all other courses, you must request permission from the department offering the course. See also our Course Registration page for additional details.

Permission Request Alert: Permission number requests from non-CGS students for Fall 2023 classes will not be processed until after August 1, when seat restrictions are lifted allowing those on the waitlists to be automatically enrolled.


Permission to Enter a Closed CGS Class

Due to the high demand of CGS courses, many class sections fill early in registration and close to further enrollment while some seats are reserved exclusively for CGS students in these sections.

Non-CGS students pursuing a CGS minor and/or a CGS certificate must apply and be officially admitted to the minor and/or certificate program in order to have the plan added to their student account. As a CGS student, you have access to the classes reserved for students in CGS plans. For instructions on how to declare your CGS minor or certificate program, visit CGS Admissions, Minor/Certificate Students. Learn more about CGS minors and CGS certificates.

If a class is full and/or the only available seats are restricted to students in CGS plans, it is crucial that students add themselves to the waitlist as early as possible. By adding yourself to a wait list, you agree that if a spot becomes available to you once the reserved seat restrictions are lifted, you will be automatically enrolled in the class, which will be added to your tuition bill. Please note the following reserved seat restrictions release dates:

  • Fall semester: August 1, 12:00 AM
  • Spring semester: December 1, 12:00 AM
  • Summer semester: April 1, 12:00 AM

Consent to register for a closed course/section prior to the official reserved seats lift dates listed above may be granted only under extenuating circumstances such as documented health reasons, study abroad, and/or life-changing events. Scheduling conflicts or desiring a different format (face-to-face or online) are not considered compelling reasons. Graduating CGS seniors may be given priority consideration if they and their CGS advisor have determined that the course is essential to completing their graduation requirements in the semester listed on their graduation application.

Disclaimer: Some CGS class sections are reserved for students in specific CGS academic plans and are not available to students in any other plan.

Most courses are offered in multiple sections. Please be sure to check Class Search for open sections run by the academic department. 

If you believe that your case warrants special consideration, please submit your request via the online Permission Number Request Form below. Please note:

  1. We will not accept permission number requests via the telephone. Please use our online form instead.
  2. We can only review/approve permission number requests for courses offered by CGS. For course sections offered by other departments, please contact the appropriate department.
    • Not sure what classes are offered by CGS? See our CGS Courses webpage for detailed instructions on how to search for CGS classes in the catalog.
  3.  Due to fire safety regulations, permission numbers cannot be approved once course enrollment in face-to-face course sections has reached room seating capacity.
  4. Filling out the form incorrectly or incompletely may result in processing delays. Make sure that you complete all required information on the form and provide the reason for your request and faculty email.
  5. Please allow a minimum of 5 business days for your request to be processed by CGS Academic Affairs. Once your request has been processed, you will be notified via email of the status of the decision.
  6. Faculty authorization does not guarantee that a permission number will be granted.

Special Approval for CGS Class Sections

In addition to requesting admittance to closed/full sections, use the Permission Form (link below) if you need a special approval such as:

Requisite Overrides

Request a requisite override if you have not completed the pre- or co-requisites for a class, or if you are transferring credits to satisfy requirements.
Required documentation: faculty and/or department authorization

Career Override

Request a career override if you are a graduate student enrolling in an undergraduate closed CGS class, or one with restricted seats.
Required documentation: email from graduate advisor and/or faculty authorization for closed classes.

Faculty and/or Department Consent

Request consent if you are enrolling in a restricted class such as an internship, independent study, or specific program only.
Required documentation: faculty authorization.

Please note:
  1. Each override request is reviewed on a case-by-case basis and as such it may or may not be approved. Seats for CGS students are given priority.
  2. Please allow a minimum of 5 business days for your request to be processed by CGS Academic Affairs.
  3. You will be notified via email when a decision is made.

Information you will need to provide in the form:

  • Complete class and term information (Visit your Student Center in PeopleSoft or Class search for class section details and instructor name)
  • Faculty name and email (email addresses can be found on the CGS Pitt Instructors webpage or in Find People)
  • The reason for your request.

Permission Number Request Form »    Ask a Question »

Late Add

You cannot use the online CGS Permission Number Request form if you are requesting to add a course after the add/drop period. You will need to complete a special Late Add form and obtain approval from your Dean's Office.

  • CGS students, please contact your advisor for further instructions or visit Course Registration, Late Add.
  • Students belonging to schools other than CGS should see their Dean's Office for their process. If authorized by your Dean's Office, please contact to obtain a permission number for CGS class sections.