Course Registration

Congratulations, you are ready to enroll in courses! Course Enrollment at the University of Pittsburgh takes place online through the student portal. The Office of the University Registrar has developed videos and tutorials to walk you through this process step-by-step. To access these valuable resources, log in to and select the "Student Services" tab, then click on "Detailed Help". This information is extremely helpful, and you are strongly encouraged to take the time to review it before enrolling for the first time.

You are able to make changes to your schedule at any time once enrolled through the end of the add/drop period, which ends the second week of the term. Check the Office of the University Registrar’s Academic Calendar for the exact date. 

Enrollment Appointments

All students are assigned an enrollment appointment, the date and time at which enrollment may begin. These appointments are staggered and assigned based on the number of credits earned by each student. (Those students with the highest number of completed credits will be given the earliest appointments.) Once your enrollment appointment has occurred, you can register online any time, 24 hours a day. You must enroll in classes before the start of the term in which you are enrolling. Some classes do fill quickly, so be sure to enroll as early as possible.

To see the day and time of your enrollment appointment, follow these steps:

  1. Log in to
  2. Click on Student Center Login
  3. Click on Self Service
  4. Click on Student Center

The information will be located in a blue box on the right titled "Enrollment Dates". Learn more about your enrollment appointment by following the link above.

*Please note that you will not be able to register if there is an academic advising hold on your account. This hold can only be removed by your advisor in a scheduled appointment. Be sure to schedule early to avoid any inconvenience in registering.

Class Selection & Enrollment

Once your enrollment appointment has occurred, you may enroll from your Student Center using your enrollment shopping cart. (Follow the above link for details on accessing this.)

The process involves three simple steps:

  1. Add classes to your enrollment shopping cart by either entering the class number or using class search.
  2. Review each class and then confirm cart for enrollment. When you are ready, click "Proceed to step 2 of 3" to confirm all classes in your cart.
  3. Read and accept the terms of the promissory note, and then click "Accept Terms and Register".

Courses Requiring Special Approval (CGS Sections)

In order to register for a College of General Studies course section that is closed/full or requires special consent, or has restricted seats or prerequisites that have not been met, students must request permission to enroll from CGS Academic Affairs using our Permission Number Request Form. If permission is granted, the student will be given a Permission Number to self-enroll.

Course Requiring Special Approval (Non-CGS Sections)

In order to register for a class that requires department/instructor consent or has prerequisites that have not been met, you must request permission from the department offering the course. If permission is granted, the department will issue the student a Permission Number. The permission number should be entered when adding the class to the enrollment shopping cart. Find a list of University departments and contacts by following the above link.

Departmental/Instructor consent: Contact the department or instructor directly.
Missing Prerequisite Override: Provide a copy of a transcript showing that you took the appropriate prerequisite course to the department offering your desired course.

If a class is closed, you may put yourself onto the Wait List using Online Self Enrollment. The registration system will keep track of the students on the Wait List and enroll them in the class when seats become available. It is important to watch your status on the list and your class schedule to see if you have been added to the class. If you Wait List a course and then no longer want the class, it is important to remove yourself from the Wait List. Follow the above link for more information and frequently-asked questions about waitlists.

If you wish to enroll in a class that is already full:

  1. Contact the professor via e-mail or schedule an in-person meeting to ask for their permission to enroll in the class. Once you have written approval from the professor in hand, move to step 2.
  2. Take the written document expressing the professor's permission to the department offering the class. They will provide you with a permission number. If the class has prerequisites, take a copy of your transcript as well to show that you have met the prerequisites. Please note: Providing a permission number is at the discretion of the department offering the class, so a number is not guaranteed.
  3. Return to the "Student Center," search for the course, enter the permission number, and add the class to your enrollment shopping cart. Check out to finalize the addition to your schedule.