College of General Studies

Degrees and Certificates

header image

New Degree Students

If you are seeking to enroll in a degree program at the University of Pittsburgh and in the College of General Studies for the first time, you will need to submit your application through the University of Pittsburgh's Office of Admissions and Financial Aid (OAFA)

Additionally, if you had been enrolled at the University previously, but have attended other colleges or universities since your time at Pitt, and/or interested in pursuing a second degree* through CGS, you must also submit an application through OAFA.

*The second degree student must complete all CGS degree and major requirements. These may be completed by combining CGS courses with transfer credits from previous academic course work.

For the second degree, students must complete a minimum of 30 credits in CGS, including at least half of the credits required for the new major (15–18 credits depending on the major).

University of Pittsburgh Alumni, Returning, and Continuing Students

If you received a degree from the University of Pittsburgh, or if you have previously been enrolled in the University of Pittsburgh and did not attend any other schools since your last enrollment at Pitt, you may apply for the CGS program you wish to pursue directly through our online application. Instructions can be found here

Please note, if you want to return to the University for a program not offered by the College of General Studies, you should contact that particular school about being reinstated as a degree-seeking student. Browse contact information for other University of Pittsburgh schools

University of Pittsburgh Students Interested In Adding a CGS Certificate or Minor

Current University of Pittsburgh students who are not already enrolled in CGS may apply to add a CGS certificate or minor by submitting an application form online. Current CGS students interested in pursuing a certificate should contact their advisor

New Students Only Seeking to Complete a Certificate

You do not have to be enrolled in a degree program to earn a certificate from the College of General Studies. Students with recent college experience who are interested in pursuing these non-degree certificate programs will be required to have a minimum 2.0 GPA. Students must have completed at least two courses (at least six credits), with one course being a college-level writing course, achieving a grade of a C or better in each course. Students must have earned a bachelor's degree in order to enroll in the post-baccalaureate certificate in accounting or the graduate certificate in gerontology. In addition, the certificate in leadership is only offered to students currently enrolled in a degree program at the University of Pittsburgh. 

If you are seeking to only complete a certificate, you may apply directly to the College of General Studies through our online application.   

Admissions Criteria for New Students Only Seeking to Complete a Certificate

Students without any previous college experience must be out of high school for two years, and will be reviewed for admission on a holistic basis.

If admissible, students will be required to complete the writing course into which they test and one other introductory-level general education course, achieving a grade of C or better in both courses, prior to enrolling in certificate courses. This requirement must be completed within the first two terms of the student’s enrollment, or within one academic year. Students will be required to meet with an advisor before enrollment and course selections must be approved by the advisor. Advisors will monitor the student’s enrollment by placing an advising hold on the student’s record to prevent the student from changing their enrollment.

Students who do not meet this requirement within the specified time frame will not be permitted to continue in the certificate program nor will they be permitted to reapply to the certificate program for three academic years.

Students who want to change their status from non-degree certificate to degree-seeking after completing the above requirements must submit an application through OAFA and meet the admission requirements established for external transfers.

You can apply to all certificate programs except for gerontology through our online application.

If you are interested in our gerontology certificate, please contact us at 412-624-6600 or to find out how to apply.