The application process for the College of General Studies varies depending on your intended student status. Choose one of the options below to see your options and the steps needed to apply. Details for each of these categories are outlined below. Still have questions or not sure where to start? Contact us!

New Adult Students

Seeking to enroll in a bachelor's degree program for the first time: Submit your application through the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid as an adult student. 

Seeking a second bachelor's degree (first degree completed outside the University of Pittsburgh): Submit your application through the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid as a transfer student.

Completion of all College of General Studies degree and major requirements is required. This may be accomplished by combining CGS courses with transfer credits from previous academic course work. For the second degree, students must complete a minimum of thirty credits in CGS, including at least half of the credits required for the new major (fifteen to eighteen credits depending on the major). 



Returning and Continuing Students (previously enrolled at the University of Pittsburgh)

Seeking to complete a bachelor's or second bachelor's degree already begun in the College of General Studies and have not taken coursework elsewhere during your absence: Submit your application directly through our online application to be reinstated to your CGS program.

Please note: If you want to return to the University for a program not offered by CGS or if you were enrolled in a different school, you should contact that particular school about being reinstated as a degree-seeking student. Browse contact information for other University of Pittsburgh schools here

Seeking to complete a bachelor's or second bachelor's degree already begun in CGS and have taken coursework elsewhere during your absence: Submit a transfer student application through the Office of Admissions and Financial Aid.


Transfer Students

External Transfers (coming from a school outside of the University of Pittsburgh)

Check the credit and GPA requirements for transfer students through our Office of Admissions, then follow these easy steps to see how the College of General Studies can facilitate your transfer experience.

1. Call 412-624-6600 to set up a preadmissions counseling appointment, where a CGS representative will conduct an evaluation of your previous college credits and help you create a customized plan to get you started. Need more information? Browse our programs or send us an email at today!

2. Choose one of our results-oriented degrees and certificates.

3. Submit your application. Be sure to include all transcripts and other requested materials to ensure that your application processing is not delayed.

4. After being admitted and paying your tuition deposit, you'll be assigned a dedicated academic advisor who will help you enroll in the necessary classes to obtain your desired degree.

Internal Transfers (coming from a school within the University of Pittsburgh)

Current undergraduate students at the University of Pittsburgh on the Pittsburgh campus or one of the University's regional campuses interested in one of our degree programs may be able to transfer directly into the College of General Studies.

Current undergraduate students on the Pittsburgh campus:

  • You must be a student in good standing at the University (2.0 GPA).
  • You must have completed at least twelve credits in your current program and have fulfilled the mathematics and Seminar in Composition requirements.

Current undergraduate students on a regional campus (Bradford, Greensburg, Johnstown, or Titusville):

  • For students seeking guaranteed transfer relocation who have earned credits only from one of the regional campuses, the normal requirement is for completion of forty-five credits at the specific regional campus, with a minimum GPA of 2.5.
  • Transfer students who attended a regional campus must complete forty-five credits overall. A minimum of thirty credits must be completed at the regional campus. The minimum Grade Point Average is 2.5. 
  • Students with a 3.0 GPA, who would have been directly admissible to the Pittsburgh campus as freshmen, may be considered for relocation with fewer than the above number of college credits.
  • You must have completed the Algebra and Seminar in Composition requirements with a grade of C- or better.

If you meet these requirements, please complete an academic program change form with your your current academic advisor or dean's office, who will forward the request to us for review. Once CGS receives and reviews your information, you will receive a final decision from CGS via your Pitt e-mail.


Certificate/Minor Students

Current University of Pittsburgh students not already enrolled in CGS: Submit an application form online.

Completing this form indicates your agreement to have the certificate or minor automatically added to your student plan if you meet the requirements.* 

Current CGS students interested in pursuing a certificate: Contact your advisor. 

Seeking to enroll in a certificate and not already a student at the University of Pittsburgh: Review the below requirements and apply directly to the College of General Studies through our online application.*   

  • Students with recent college experience who are interested in pursuing a certificate program will be required to have a minimum 2.0 GPA. Students must have completed at least two courses (six credits), with one course being a college-level writing course, and achieving a grade of a C or better in each course. Students must have earned a bachelor's degree in order to enroll in the post-baccalaureate certificate in accounting* or the graduate certificate in gerontology.** In addition, the certificate in leadership is only offered to students currently enrolled in a degree program at the University of Pittsburgh. Applicants interested in the National Preparedness certificate must have completed at least 60 college credits with a GPA of 2.0.  
  • Students without any previous college experience must have been out of high school for at least two years and will be reviewed for admission on a holistic basis. If admissible, students will be required to complete the writing course into which they test and one other introductory-level general education course, achieving a grade of C or better in both courses, prior to enrolling in certificate courses. This requirement must be completed within the first two terms of the student’s enrollment, or within one academic year. Students will be required to meet with an advisor before enrollment, and course selections must be approved by the advisor. Advisors will monitor the student’s enrollment by placing an advising hold on the student’s record to prevent the student from changing their enrollment.
  • Students who do not meet this requirement within the specified time frame will not be permitted to continue in the certificate program nor will they be permitted to reapply to the certificate program for three academic years.
  • Students who want to change their status from certificate to degree-seeking after completing the above requirements must submit an application through the Office of Admissions and meet the admission requirements established for external transfers.

* Please Note: A 2.75 or higher cumulative grade point average is required for admission to the accounting program, and a minimum of 15 credits must be earned at the University of Pittsburgh.

** Please Note: You can apply to all certificate programs except for gerontology online. If you are interested in our gerontology certificate, please contact us at 412-624-6600 or to find out how to apply.


Non-Degree Students

Students seeking to take courses without enrolling in a degree-granting program may apply directly to the College of General Studies to take undergraduate level courses if they fall into one of the below categories.* Admission is rolling, but please submit your application at least 2 weeks prior to the start of classes. Term start and end dates can be found on the University’s Academic Calendar. Applications may take from 2-4 weeks for processing.

Please note that non-degree seeking students are not eligible for University-sponsored financial aid. To learn more about financial aid eligibility requirements and tuition costs, please visit the Admissions and Financial Aid website. Tuition is billed on a per-credit basis consistent with current University rates. Click here for more frequently-asked questions!

Post-Baccalaureate Students (already attained a bachelor’s degree or higher).

  • This student status does not lead to a degree.
  • Best for students who need to make up prerequisite courses prior to applying for graduate school or those who want to take a few college-level courses for personal enrichment purposes.
  • If accepted, students must enroll in classes in the term they are accepted. Otherwise, they will need to reapply for another term. Accounts will remain active as long as there is no more than a three-term lapse in enrollment.
  • Post-baccalaureate students are not eligible for academic advising, but may attend walk-in advising hours.
  • To apply, submit the online application along with applicable transcripts.

Guest Students (enrolled in a degree program at another 4-year institution).

  • This designation is for students who plan to take courses for credit at the University of Pittsburgh with the intention of transferring those courses back to their home institution.
  • To be eligible for admission, students must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative or overall GPA. Guest student status is granted for one term only and does not automatically renew.
  • To ensure that the class(es) needed are offered during the term for which you are applying, use the Class Search tool. This tool will also reflect how many open seats are left in classes, as well as any prerequisite needs. 
  • To apply, submit the online application. Be sure to submit official transcripts directly to the College of General Studies. Otherwise, your application processing may be delayed.
  • For syllabi of desired courses, contact the department directly.

*CGS does not offer graduate-level courses. To inquire about taking these as a non-degree student, contact the graduate school offering your desired course directly. (Undergraduate courses are numbered from 0001 to 1999. Any 2000-level course or higher is a graduate level course.)