College of General Studies

Academic Policies and Procedures

header image

How Your GPA is Calculated

Your grade point average or GPA at the University is determined by dividing the total number of grade points earned by the total number of credits. For a more detailed explanation, visit the University of Pittsburgh’s Undergraduate Bulletin.

Deans List Qualifications

To qualify for the Dean’s List, you must be enrolled in a CGS degree program, complete at least 12 credits with a 3.5 or better GPA, and complete a new set of 12 credits earning a 3.5 GPA or better to requalify.

Incomplete and Satisfactory/No Credit Grades

A G grade is an incomplete grade at the University, and signifies unfinished course work due to extenuating personal circumstances. It is up to your instructor’s discretion as to whether a G grade may be an option for the course.. If you take a G grade in a CGS offered course, you have one year after the course has ended to complete the course requirements. The G grade will remain on your record if the deadline passes, and you must re-register for the course if it is needed to fulfill graduation requirements.

A satisfactory/no credit or S/NC grade is an alternative for some courses as a letter grade, although you can’t take all your courses with this option. Check with your advisor for the maximum number of S/NC grades permitted. You can also check in PeopleSoft to see if a course has this option. To select the S/NC option, you may set this option for the desired course when registering or by submitting a grade option form at the time of registration, usually between two and four weeks after a term begins. Be sure to check the academic calendar through the Office of the University Registrar for the exact deadline.

  • An S grade is awarded for satisfactory work completed in the course, and is awarded when overall course performance is at the C grade level or above. Courses with an S grade are counted toward graduation, but not computed in the grade point average.
  • An N or no credit grade is given if less than satisfactory work is done, when the performance is at the C minus level or below. These courses do not count toward graduation and do not satisfy requirements.

Academic Probation and Suspension

If you have completed at least 12 quality point credits and your GPA falls below a 2.0, then you will be placed on academic probation and may be subject to suspension. Once placed on academic probation, you have another 12 credits to restore your GPA to above a 2.0. If this is not reached, you will be suspended and prohibited from registering for one calendar year.