Do you have a passion for art, literature, music, culture, religion, or languages? Do you like to create, read and write, and engage in discussions? If so, the Bachelor of Arts in Humanities might be exactly what you are looking for in a degree program. Humanities is a liberal arts major with a focus on courses from three humanities departments. This major can be customized to meet your interests and personal or career goals.
A pre-education option is also available for students interested in the Master of Arts in teaching programs offered in the School of Education.
Liberal arts majors have been successful in many industries; including business, government, and technology. Some of the most well-known liberal arts majors include:
- Howard Schultz, Starbucks CEO (B.S. in Communications);
- Andrea Jung, former CEO of Avon (B.A. in English Literature);
- Michael Eisner, former Walt Disney Company CEO (B.A. in English Literature & Theater);
- Richard Plepler, HBO CEO (B.A. in Government);
- Carly Fiorina, former Hewlett-Packard CEO (B.A. in Medieval History & Philosophy);
- John Mackey, Whole Foods Co-CEO (incomplete B.A. in Philosophy & Religion);
- Susan Wojcicki, YouTube CEO (B.A. in History & Literature);
- Steve Ells, Chipotle Co-CEO (B.A. in Art History); and
- Alexa Hirschfeld, Paperless Post Co-founder (B.A. in Classics).
The CGS Humanities BA major is being phased out, with no new students being accepted after September 4, 2020.
Students already admitted to CGS who are undeclared or declared in other CGS majors will not be allowed to declare or change their major to Humanities after September 4, 2020
Students already in the Humanities major will be able to complete their program as planned. Current Humanities students should contact their advisor for further information. Current students will have until December 2028 to complete their degrees.
New students interested in interdisciplinary studies are invited to explore our other majors in the following career areas:
As a student in the CGS Humanities major, you have the opportunity to enroll in one of two available tracks and take a multidisciplinary approach to your studies by pairing coursework from various humanities departments.
Degree Offered: BA
Time to Complete: 2 to 4 years
Format: On campus with select courses offered online
Internship Required: No, but encouraged
Major Tracks: Standard (Multidisciplinary); Pre-Education (English)