College of General Studies

Non-Degree Seeking Students

header image

Admissions process for students not seeking a degree or certificate

Post-Baccalaureate and Guest Students

If you have already completed your bachelors or are currently enrolled as a degree-seeking student at another college or university and want to take a few undergraduate level (no graduate level) classes at the University of Pittsburgh, you must apply through the College of General Studies. (At the University of Pittsburgh, undergraduate courses are numbered from 0001 to 1999.  Any 2000-level course or higher is a graduate level course.) Admissions for these categories, except for the Certificate in Gerontology and to the Osher Lifelong Learning Institute, are through our online application.

  • You have already completed your bachelor's degree (post-baccalaureate students). Students who do not want to enroll in a degree or certificate program but wish to take additional undergraduate level classes after they have earned a bachelor's degree can apply through our online application.
  • Guest, Visiting, or Summer Visiting Students. Students enrolled in an undergraduate degree program at another university who plan to take courses for credit at the University of Pittsburgh with the intention of transferring those courses back to their home institution. To be eligible for admission, students must have a minimum 2.5 cumulative or overall GPA. Guest student status is given for one semester only. Students can apply through our online application. Admissions is rolling.  Please submit your application at least 2 weeks prior to the start of classes. 
  • Osher Lifelong Learning Institute. To apply to this program, which is available to those over 50, please contact us directly at 412-624-7308 or by e-mail at

All post-baccalaureate, visiting and guest students in the College of General Studies will be encouraged to review the following information via e-mail after being accepted by the college:

You will not be assigned an academic advisor. When you go to register, please note:

  • If you are taking classes that require prerequisites or co-requisites and you receive an error message when you are attempting to register that says these have not been met, you will need to contact the department that is offering the class to get permission to enroll. Most departments require that you present a copy of your transcript before they will grant permission. It is recommended that you keep a copy of your transcripts for this reason.
  • If you have a hold placed on your account, you will not be able to register until the hold has been lifted. Holds are placed on a student's records by University offices when students fail to meet their obligations, financial or otherwise, to the University.
  • Non-degree seeking students (for example, post-baccalaureate and guest students) are not eligible for financial aid. To learn more about financial aid eligibility requirements, visit Admissions and Financial Aid