Welcome to the College of General Studies at the University of Pittsburgh! We are glad you have chosen to begin or continue your education as part of the CGS community. At CGS, we invest in your success. So even before you set foot on campus for your first class, we want to help make your transition to the classroom a successful one.
Below is a list of information and resources to help you get started in the college and at the University. This material, along with a letter from your advisor, will also be included in the welcome packet that you will receive in the mail. Once you receive this information and complete the steps listed below, please call 412-624-6600 to schedule an appointment with your advisor.
Advisors will begin meeting with new Summer 2017 degree seekings students on February 1, 2017.
Advisors will begin meeting with new Fall 2017 degree seeking students March 1 - March 10, 2017.
Prior to Your First Advising Appointment
If you are pursuing a bachelors degree you must pay your non-refundable Enrollment Fee/Tuition Deposit before meeting with an advisor and enrolling in classes. Payment of this deposit confirms your choice to attend the University of Pittsburgh and grants you access to all the University's resources.
Once you pay your deposit, you will receive an e-mail containing your My Pitt username, as well as instructions for activating your account and setting your password. This e-mail will be sent to the personal e-mail address you provided on your application. Be sure to bring your My Pitt username and password with you to your first advising appointment. You will not be able to register for classes without this information.
All degree-seeking students must also complete the following prior to their first advising appointment and before enrolling in classes.
College Student Inventory
This assessment takes about 15 minutes. It provides your advisor with information about your academic goals and expectations, as well as those programs or services that may interest you. Go to the College Student Inventory if you are pursuing a bachelors degree.
New Student Tutorial
The tutorial can be completed in about 30 minutes. This tutorial prepares you for your first advising appointment, explaining your transfer credits, distribution of studies, and how to search and register for classes. Go to the New Student Tutorial.
If you are pursuing a bachelors degree use the Enrollment Worksheet, as well as the information you learned in the inventory and tutorial, to prepare a list of classes you are interested in taking. Bring this worksheet with you to review with your advisor at your first appointment.
Once you have completed the above steps, call 412-624-6600 to make an appointment with your advisor.
Advising and Registration Information
- Student Transfer Evaluation – Your prior school(s) transcripts have been evaluated to determine which of your prior credits are eligible for transfer into the College of General Studies. The Student Transfer Evaluation and the Distribution of Studies form lists which of your credits can transfer. Your personalized copy has or will be mailed to you.
- Student Transfer Evaluation Guide – This is a guide to understanding the Student Transfer Evaluation and how the evaluation of your prior credits was completed.
- Distribution of Studies – This document shows you how the credits you are transferring may apply towards your degree program. Your personalized copy has or will be mailed to you.
- Distribution of Studies At-A-Glance – This guide explains how your transfer credits apply to your degree program, and outlines the remaining credits and requirements that must be fulfilled in order for you to complete your degree or certificate program.
- Advising & Registration Technology Guide Web page gives you simple instructions on how to navigate around the student web portal at my.pitt.edu so you can view your class schedule, search the course schedule, and view your Academic Advising Transcript.
- A printable technology guide is available.
- Student Online Self-Enrollment Information - This guide provides step by step instructions on how to select and enroll in courses through the student web portal at my.pitt.edu.
- Academic Advising Syllabus – This document helps outline what you can expect from your advisor and what your advisor expects from you. It provides guidance about how to schedule and prepare for different types of appointments, and how to contact your advisor. It also has links to University offices and resources that may be useful to you.
- Financial Aid Information – This section of our web site provides financial aid information for the University of Pittsburgh, and unique scholarship opportunities through the College of General Studies.
- Paying Your University of Pittsburgh Bills – Visit the University’s Student Payment Center Web site for all the information you need on paying your University of Pittsburgh tuition bill.
- PittPAY Checklist – This is a guide to PittPAY, where you can view your student account details, see your electronic bill from the University, enroll in a specific payment plan, and more. PittPAY is accessible through the student web portal at my.pitt.edu.
- Payment Plan – This link provides information about tuition payment plans offered by the University of Pittsburgh.
Department of Parking, Transportation, and Services
Division of Student Affairs
Office of Admissions and Financial Aid
Office of Veteran Services
Overview of Oakland
Virtual Campus Tours
Walking Campus Tours